Active Sky Next

All topics including help with connections, installing planes and scenery
Badapple
First Officer
First Officer

Active Sky Next

Postby Badapple » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:43 am

Here is a little observation from me in the way of weather.

Since Active Sky initially came out I have always been partial to that program because of the way it interfaces with FSX. When Prepar3d finally got me to switch to it I thought, "that's it for Active Sky." I mean how do you really beat AS2012? But the switch to P3d has been such a pleasure. No more constant tweaking and messing with frame rates. Always smooth is the biggest "hurrah" for me. But I yearned for a good weather program. I initially bought the "Pilot's Real Weather" program which was designed for P3D. It is a good program, however, it does have some setbacks such as NOT up to date weather downloading. The server the collects the weather data for the program is only updated once every 24 hours or so. Thus, if you think your getting current weather, your not. Its really old. So many times I would hunt for weather, find it, and then spawn to that location and update the "Real Weather" program only to find that that particular weather or Storm isn't on the server yet. I brought this to the attention of the elite at Pilots. They wrote back to me in email form like I was some kind of gamer boy who didn't understand flying. So there you go. They know more than you but their program is the piece of shit.. that could be great.

Cutting to the important stuff, I just bought Active Sky NEXT. The particular program I bought is specifically for Prepar3d v2.4. Well, I can tell you that I am very well pleased with the effort put into this product. Their servers are constantly updating. Minute by minute. It is current and also "Live" You just can't beat that. The program is not stocked with all the whistles and bells of graphics like REX use to do. (Active Sky says that will come later). But you just get up to the second, live, weather for where ever you are located in the world. To help this happen, there is a specific ASweather.connect DLL that gives you a live connection with weather. The graphics of Prepar3d are the ones used. The whole Active Sky system is pretty much the same as far as settings but the interface is graphically different. On several test I have done over the past couple of days, I have looked for severe weather, snow storms and hurricanes. Where ever the weather over the internet told me there was weather, I would spawn there and BINGO that was the weather that Active Sky Next gave me. And the temperature, barometric pressure and winds were all correct. Even the winds aloft at 35000 ft were as predicted.

So at this stage of the game, I would recommend that if you are looking for live, active, accurate weather, Active Sky Next is your best bet for Prepar3D v2.4. There is also a version for FSX but can't really tell you how the program works with it because I have totally deleted FSX along with the other dinosaurs that have gone to rest. I say that because I manually edited my registry program for any FSX addon to load into P3D. Once I got my Level-D 767 working in P3D there was no more need for FSX.

Just a little input from me guys. I know people always ask.

Happy Skies

Steve
Leaders are born from Chaos ! ! !

[img]http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x254/badapp1e/767banner_zpsuhz6dqam.png[/img]

Senior Captain

Re: Active Sky Next

Postby Age » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:05 pm

Sounds good Steve , I have heard good things about Active Sky Next . I also believe you can demo it for free for 7 days, no strings attached. I know its the only weather engine that works with the PMDG 777 wx radar , but unfortunately I haven't been able to get the 777 working in p3d yet . Its the one of the few times I fire up FSX still , to fly the 777 on a long haul these days.
[size=85][color=#FF8040]It's easy to get caught up in the big machine [/color][/size]

Badapple
First Officer
First Officer

Re: Active Sky Next

Postby Badapple » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:31 am

I saw something in the past few days that gets all PMDG stuff to work with P3D v2.4. If I spot it again I will post.
Leaders are born from Chaos ! ! !

[img]http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x254/badapp1e/767banner_zpsuhz6dqam.png[/img]

Return to “General”