New PC ordered

All topics including help with connections, installing planes and scenery
packo88
Captain
Captain

New PC ordered

Postby packo88 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:32 am

New PC has been ordered and paid for :-) Should have it by early next week and be back in the air at FigAir real soon. Looking forward to it. It has been a long time coming.

Intel BX80646I74790K Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz 8MB LGA1150 Haswell Refresh Boxed CPU 1
Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 3 Intel Z97 4xDDR3/3xPCI-Ex16/HDMI/DVI/D-SUB/Killer E2201/ATX Mother 1
board
Gigabyte R928WF3OC-3GD 3GB R9-280 OC PCI-E VGA Card 1
G.Skill Sniper 16G Kit(8Gx2) DDR3 1600 F3-1600C9D-16GSR 1
Seagate 3.5" Barracuda 2TB ST2000DM001 SATA3 7200rpm 64MB Cache Hard Disk 1
Kingston SH103S3/240G HyperX 240G Sandforce SATA3 SSD Solid State Drive 1
Thermaltake Black Core V51 CA-1C6-00M1WN-00 USB3.0 Mid Tower Case without PSU 1
Thermaltake SP-550PCBAU Smart 550w 80+ Bronze Power Supply 1
ASUS DRW-24D3ST Black 24x DVD-RW Writer (OEM) 1
64bit Microsoft MS Windows 8.1 Pro (FQC-06949) OEM 1
Logitech Z623 2.1 Speaker
We have clearance, Clarence. Roger, Roger. What's our vector, Victor?

rotor
Captain
Captain

Re: New PC ordered

Postby rotor » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:43 am

great mate looking forward to see you back up in the air
Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Winston Churchill

Senior Captain

Postby Age » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:40 am

Sweet Packo , I hope to be back in air soon too
It's easy to get caught up in the big machine

packo88
Captain
Captain

Postby packo88 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:07 pm

Will be good to have you back Age.

Senior Captain

Postby Age » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:07 am

Cheers all .
I guess there are a few updates required to my p3d ..been a while, and its a great thing they are continually updating the sim .. Pretty busy at moment sorting a few things , but after updating all my sim it will be great to log into fig air again, it will almost feel like a new experience.
It's easy to get caught up in the big machine

Badapple
First Officer
First Officer

Postby Badapple » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:51 pm

It appears you have a kick-butt machine.

Congrats
Leaders are born from Chaos ! ! !

UAL6532
First Officer
First Officer

Postby UAL6532 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:57 am

Wondering how you like the new card packo?

My birthday is in a few weeks, and the wife told me that I can upgrade my computer if I wish, so I will comply. I am thinking about upgrading my graphics card. I use to run two Radian 5770s. I then switched to one NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 660Ti and got rid of the two ATI cards. I am starting to think that was a bad move. I get about the same performance that I use to with the Two ATI cards except in the frame hogging areas like cities.

I was thinking of running a second card to see if that would boost up performance, but of course, they barely sell the GTX 660 now due to better ones being made. Now I am stuck with the decision to buy another one of these cards online and hope it works, or just get a latest and greatest, Maybe two of them.

I noticed that NVIDIA has new GTX 900 series out, but they cost quite a penny, epically for two of them. Below is a link if you have time to check this out. Its from a company here in the states that makes computer specifically for FSX. Scroll down the Graphics (GPU) Performance area. They talk about sometimes running two cards can actually hurt performance. If you have time, what is your intake in this.

http://jetlinesystems.com/performance.php

I am currently running dual monitors (not the same), 12 gigs of ram with the i7 chip, 2.67 GHz 64 bit Operating System.

Thanks in advance.
Mike

nickfouche

Postby nickfouche » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:07 am

Nvidia is much better for FSX than ATI.

The card you want would be a GTX 7 series or better.

You want a dual GPU card so you can just run what is basically SLI all the time.

I have the GTX690 4GB dual GPU (2 x 2GB) and that smashes FSX GPU requirements and has room to breath. The new Maxwell Nvidia cards will offer performance with the added bonus of power savings. Keep in mind if you can fit them in Nvidia cards will allow Quad SLI (2 x dual GPU cards). You can run up to 32x anti-aliasing with that setup. For FSX you only need one good GTX card though.

If I had to upgrade now it would be to a TITAN Z.

The other thing that makes a huge difference for me is having a 6-core CPU with HT enabled, overclocked and using the Task Manager to assign affinity mask setting to ensure FSX runs on the LAST 10 logical cores, leaving cores 0 and 1 for the system. I can run FSX pretty much with the best settings and best aircraft (PMDG 777, NGX, 747X and LDS767) and ORBX/FTX Australia or Global FTX/Vectors and easily get 20-30FPS around major cities and far better elsewhere.

Some people claim that FSX won't take advantage of HT but I disagree.

The last thing that is invaluable is SSD's. It makes a massive difference. Combined with a motherboard capable of handling the transfer data speeds and it all pulls together well.

I am just about to install P3D v2 so I hope that makes full use of what I have.

Either way tinkering with PC's is half the fun of flying :)

packo88
Captain
Captain

Postby packo88 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:20 am

GPU is just a secondary requirement for FSX or P3d. The bottle neck is always the CPU. The best performance boost I have ever seen is from overclocking the CPU. So far I am happy with the ATI. it has taken everything I have thrown at it with ease. I think its just what you like and what your use too. Some people get stuck on a good thing, and are then never willing to try anything new. I feel it really comes down to personal preference.

Return to “General”