NZ The unlisted strips

Anything to do with Hoplists. How to create. How to fly. Ideas on themes or locations and whats on for next month
Senior Captain

NZ The unlisted strips

Postby Age » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:04 am

I know not everyone here uses fSX , but with the announcement on Orbx forums that NZ p3d installers will be out very soon , I started to look at the unlisted strips in New Zealand , there are thousands of them .
Orbx included a BGL for the South Island I believe , but not one for the North until recently on there website , I have added that here for download.
Anyway I though about making a list using only the unlisted airstrips , ones not put there by Microsoft I mean, maby for one of the side servers one day.
My main question is , I can not run these strips through hoplist creator online because of course they are not listed in the Microsoft sim , I can make the list on Plan G after updating the database with the new BGL installed , but I can not to my knowledge save it as a hoplist for use on the servers .
I guess my question is , Is there a easy way to do this , or when one is using non microsoft airstrips , do they have to type the list all in manually ? I know Packo has made a few lists over the years using Ozx and unlisted strips in the South Island of NZ , but I never asked for the details .

Anyway , if anyone has tips (Packo ), thanks in advance.

Cheers
NZNI Airstrips.zip
(16.3 KiB) Downloaded 589 times
It's easy to get caught up in the big machine

Senior Captain

NZ The unlisted strips

Postby Age » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:04 am

If it means I have to write it all by hand , its not the end of the world, I just wanted some advice on the matter from those that had been there and done it before, My plan was to start at the top of the North Island of New Zealand and fly South . There are some wonderful strips put in that people will never see , but with the BGL file it could be done using GPS and some big balls landing at them, it could be one section at a time , 40 hops at a time, something for people to have a go at after there monthly list is finished .

I remember when some folks where so anti people using a BGL file to see these strips .

Times have changed for the better I think.

packo88
Captain
Captain

NZ The unlisted strips

Postby packo88 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:39 am

Its a good idea Age. I love doing those type of flights. It can be done as you know, as when Orbx first released NZSI I worked out a way to do it.

It has two parts to it. Writing the hoplist by hand and also adding the destination grid references to the server database. Both of which can be done in a text editor such as notepad.

Writing the hoplist is the easy part. What we need is all the airstrip grid references. Last time I did it it was all made possible because Orbx released a google map file of all the strips and I extracted all the info and added it to the database in the required format. So if you can find a kml or kmz file it will make our life so much easier and we can make a start on it ASAP.

Other than that have a look at some of the file types you can get out of Plan G. Make a small flight plan to start with. Say just 5 or 6 hops. Save it in a plan g format and another in a flight sim format. Now open them with a text editor like notepad or word pad and see what you find. I am sure you will find one of them will have grid references. If they do send me the file and I will see what I can do about adding them to the server database. Then we will write a small hoplist that includes the five or six strips and we can test it out.

**** I use "Notepad++" as a text editor. It has some fantastic features that has made my life a lot easier working with this sort of stuff. Its a free download and add free. Get it

I am pretty busy at the moment but I am sure together we can get this happening. If we can get this to work we can use one of the other servers to host it full time. :P
We have clearance, Clarence. Roger, Roger. What's our vector, Victor?

Senior Captain

NZ The unlisted strips

Postby Age » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:07 am

Thanks Packo , appreciate the info ,sounds like a bit of work .

packo88
Captain
Captain

Re: Waste of time or not?

Postby packo88 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:04 pm

I have the weekend of and expect to spend a little time on this. Hopefully I will end up with all Orbx NZ airstrips in the database... Fingers crossed 8-)

packo88
Captain
Captain

Postby packo88 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:40 am

I had a look at it today and the good news is IT CAN BE DONE :D

I will wait until P3d versions have been released and once I have installed them I will add ALL unlisted strips to our server databases. Its a big job but its work I enjoy doing.

As for the hoplist just make it in Plan G, save it as a Plan G file and send it to me. I will work on that too and convert it into a hoplist file.

We will use the second or third server and host it on a permenant basis. It will obviously be an ORBX scenery required server and as most people that have NZ scenery have Australia as well. We may just keep adding to it and cover both... What do you think :?:

Senior Captain

Postby Age » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:26 pm

Thanks again packo , I did not realize so much work was involved when I asked this question originally , and I must say thanks again for looking at it . Not many server hosts online would take the time to do this . Another great reason why Fig Air is the best .

Senior Captain

NZ The unlisted strips

Postby Age » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:33 am

Here is the start of my unlisted strips hoplist , It starts in the Far North of NZ and travels to just past Auckland , Over 45 hops all unlisted strips that are included with Orbx NZ scenery.
Attachments
NZNI The Unlisted Strips.rar
(2.86 KiB) Downloaded 206 times

packo88
Captain
Captain

Re: NZ The unlisted strips

Postby packo88 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:45 am

Here are all the unlisted NZ strips that I have added to the server database. I used a few different methods to extract them from both North and South Island sceneries. I hope to have got them all. I may have to add some water landing locations if required.
Attachments
NZ_Unlisted.rar
(7.65 KiB) Downloaded 215 times

rotor
Captain
Captain

Re: NZ The unlisted strips

Postby rotor » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:09 am

will someone make a how to add the downloads
Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Winston Churchill

Return to “Hoplists”